At Camas Friends, we have a variety of ways in which we do the “message” portion of our service. Generally I preach, but not always. Sometimes we have a discussion around the text, sometimes we utilized drama or interview like portions to add to the mix, sometimes we invite people up from our community to share their stories and at least once I’ve told a narrative. I personally love the freedom to be creative and practice different ways of entering into these texts. This past Sunday we just had a discussion around Jeremiah 8. I asked a variety of questions and interspersed comments along the way. It was a lot of fun (at least for me) and our community seems to really enjoy this method of learning.
Here’s some of the questions I asked on Sunday:
- I wonder what part of this text you like best?
- I wonder what part of this story is about you?
- Given what weve been talking about os far in Jer. what do you think is going on in this passage?
- Is there something meaningful to you that this text evokes?
- What is the good news of this text?
- What meaning might this text have not just for each of us individually, but as a church community?
One response to “Questions for Jeremiah 8:18-9:1”
[…] I thought I would post what I would have said, if I would have preached the other day. (Given that please forgive the very unpolished nature of this piece). […]